Don’t let these 8 excuses get in your way of clearing clutter.
- I don’t have time. Carve out just a little time each day to tackle a project and praise yourself for the little accomplishments. The instant gratification you will receive for clearing out one cupboard or one closet is worth it. You may not get your entire house done in a week but take little steps to meet the end goal.
- I may use it someday. If you haven’t used an item recently, chances are you won’t be needing it in the near future.
- I may fit into that someday. Is your closet filled with clothes size 4 – 10? Keep those that fit you today and chances are if you lose weight you will want to reward yourself with a new pair of jeans not the ones from 5 years ago that may still be lingering in your wardrobe.
- I’m storing it for someone. Maybe it’s time for the “someone” to come pick up their items so you can walk through your garage or attic again. Hold your grown children accountable for their belongings. This summer, I am having my kids review their “momento” boxes which are filled with old artwork and cards. They have enjoyed going through the boxes, having a few laughs, and discarding a lot.
- My grandchild/child made it for me. If you have an abundant amount of pottery pieces that someone special made you years ago, consider taking photographs of the items which will help you cherish the memory. Anybody have an old potholder that their child made them? I still do.
- I need to find the match, it’s here somewhere. We had a client who had trouble letting go and during a move had us put aside about 15 pairs of gloves that weren’t pairs anymore in hopes of finding the match. We finally were able to throw them away as the matches never did surface.
- It was a wedding present. Don’t let guilt get in your way. If you haven’t used it, you probably won’t and chances are the bearer of the gift won’t even remember what they gave you for your wedding!
- I need to get that fixed. Do any of you have old lamps or pictures with broken frames lingering in your basement?
Let us know what other excuses have kept you from organizing. We’d love to add to our list.